Just some thoughts...

Every day, as I write Poetiquejustis, I pray it will be a blessing to someone.
Today, I hope it is you.






Sunday, February 26, 2012

and the music filled the night


                                                A people must have dignity and identity.
Andrew Goodman


A cold and windy night near Union Square in San Francisco

The streets were almost empty

The sound: A street musician playing his clarinet and "Greensleeves" pushes it way through the air; turning the corners; rising to touch the buildings that scrape the sky; and surrounding me like a cloak

The soundtrack of a San Francisco night
 as he handled the music with dignity and accepted tips
 as though he were playing at the Top of the Mark.


The sight: a man deep in a doorway keeps his back to me.
 He makes his newspaper bed 
with care
lining his shoes neatly  next to his bed,

 he gets ready to meet the night on the streets with dignity

the music
filled the night
 and the sight followed me back 
to my fancy hotel

and I could not sleep 
with dignity
and that's poetiquejustis
He who shuts his ears to the cries of the poor will be ignored in his own time of need.
 Proverbs 21:13