Just some thoughts...

Every day, as I write Poetiquejustis, I pray it will be a blessing to someone.
Today, I hope it is you.






Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Empty Shelf

Manifest plainess
Embrace simplicity
Reduce selfishness
Have few desires
Lao-Tzu



Over the holidays, I called my brothers who live far away
from my seaside home


They are both quite a bit older than I am- both retired

One lives in the middle of a desert


 and the other on the top of a mountain


The California kid sister calls and chatters on about her teaching jobs, her book contracts

and her all around busy-ness

They listen patiently and are even interested

because that is how we were brought up,

 but I can tell they were quietly drumming their fingers


 wanting to return to what they were doing before the call


And what they were doing was 

living


Without the tether of a iPad, Daytimer,
or a steady assault of "Action Required" emails that make up my day



They were living.
Plain and simple

As usual, my brothers were ahead of me
They have traded the busyness of life
for the business of living

I am not ready to retire- the fact is I probably never will be

But I am ready to make some room for living

I have a friend who keeps an empty shelf on every one of her bookcases as a reminder

To leave room for new learning

 a space in which to breathe

Today, I am clearing off a shelf in my mind

Today, I am making  room for living
Thanks, Bros
I am still learning so much from you both 
and that's poetiquejustis

  I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
John 10:10