Just some thoughts...

Every day, as I write Poetiquejustis, I pray it will be a blessing to someone.
Today, I hope it is you.






Friday, September 23, 2011

Educate me, please!




I am at a higher education conference this week.

It is not bad a conference- the intentions are good

It is educators educating educators about educating

We are up to our iPads in statistics and PowerPoints

And the secret language and handshakes of higher education

As I look around at the serious faces and try not to

get swamped in the data

I hear a lot of discussion going on about
how we decide whether or not we are doing a good job or not as educators

I feel like there is a voice missing

what is it...I cannot put my finger on it

Oh! I know!

Students!

There are not students here to tell us what we are doing right or wrong.

I want to talk to that kid that a bunch of PhD’s

just may not easily relate to


The student that dropped out of college

The one who was afraid to start college

The one who is struggling and we are not reaching

I want to talk to the military spouse

with four kids and husband who is deployed who is trying to complete her education

So.....

I suggested asking the students

After the awkward silence

I was told that they were not qualified to let us know

Now what do you say to that?

and that's poetiquejustis