Just some thoughts...

Every day, as I write Poetiquejustis, I pray it will be a blessing to someone.
Today, I hope it is you.






Monday, September 19, 2011

Houses I Have Met Along the Way to Home



When we walked in to the empty House

it smiled at us

Not a jubilant smile…an easy one

A smile that came from within its walls

The House was built in 1936

It had lots of experience welcoming strangers

The House was very good at it

The wood floors felt solid beneath my feet

And why not?

It has withstood the test of time.

The pacing of a parent with a sick child....

The running feet of toddlers on Christmas Morning....

I looked out on to the front porch and saw through the eyes of the one who had lived there

A paper lying on the step?

"War Declared"


Did a man in uniform walk up those steps with his condolences ?


Sundays around the radio

FDR's Fireside Chats

The Jack Benny Show

George Burns and Gracie Allen

My hands move over the tiles in the kitchen

How many Christmas cookies were rolled out here?

How many pitchers of lemonade were stirred and brought

out to the back porch on a summer afternoon?

A little door in the wall….for the dairyman to leave the milk for the day

And then

I see the hands that wiped the counter one last time…

neatly fold the cloth…and walk out of the House

Carefully locking the door as she had for so many years,

knowing this time she would not come back

I too close and lock the door carefully

And wonder..... will I ever come back?

Perhaps. And if I do, will you come and roll out Christmas Cookies with me?

The House and I would like that.

And that's poetiquejustis