Just some thoughts...

Every day, as I write Poetiquejustis, I pray it will be a blessing to someone.
Today, I hope it is you.






Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Grading Life On A Curve


...the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"How do you deal with the curve balls in life?"
I have been asking myself that a lot lately, since I have my fair share of cosmic baseballs coming in to my life just as you do.

I want to know, because it is not how we handle the great moments that make us- it is how we handle the disappointments and the troubles.

Me?
I can go in to pout mode.
I stand there staring at the Pitcher and try to guilt Him in to not doing that to me any more.
That never works since the Pitcher is also the Coach and wants me to be able to handle it all.

I am learning to take Hank Aaron's advice - be patient...be ready for the fastball and if you are set up for that, you can easily hit the curve ball. Just play your best game- now.

It is easy to be calm and positive and collected when in my study surrounded by my books and insulated from the world.
Bring on the fastballs!
But once I step up to the plate- be it at work, or in the community or on the Internet...ah, that is where my true ability to play the game is revealed.

It is when things do not go the way I want them to
that my batting arm must not fail me.

That takes practice....and that means more curve balls coming my way
And that's Poetiquejustis